Marriage Registry Office

When you want to get married in Denmark, you must submit your application to the Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset). You select by yourself, which municipality you wish to get married in and you have to indicate this in your application.

Of course, we would be delighted if you choose Aabenraa Kommune for the most important day of your life. 

If this is the case, please follow this procedure:

  1. Send your documents to the Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset) and choose Aabenraa Kommune for your wedding municipality - if you have questions regarding the case working or the case working progress, please contact the Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset), hence we cannot answer questions in this matter.
  2. When the Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset) has checked and approved your papers, you will receive an email with a link to our booking page. You can book an appointment for the wedding yourself on the booking page.
  3. You can only book an appointment once you have received your approval from the Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset).

Appointments and witnesses

Two witnesses must be present at a wedding.

If you bring your own witnesses, you can get an appointment on a Tuesday or Friday.

If you do not have your own witnesses, the municipality can provide them free of charge. If you do not bring your own witnesses, we can offer you an appointment on a Tuesday.

You come to the wedding ceremony on the date agreed with Aabenraa Kommune and there are no additional costs. There is no mandatory overnight stay.

Please note! You must both be able to communicate in English, German or Danish. If this is not the case, you must bring along a translator. If we cannot communicate with both of you, we cannot wed you.


How to change the marriage municipality if you already have your approval from the Agency of Family Law

If you already have an approval and want to get married in our municipality, you must contact the Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset). The Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset) will send us your documents and you will then receive a link to our booking page.

Please contact the Agency of Family Law (Familieretshuset).

Phone: +45 7256 7000


Accomodation, activities and restaurants

Are you looking for accommodation, activities or a good restaurant visit the homepage of Aabenraa City.

Corona information

It is very important that you read the information on the following website  to see if you meet the entry requirements.
Please note that you must of course have valid travel documents to enter Denmark.

Closing days 2022 (all days included)


Ofte stillede spørgsmål

  • Should you need a new marriage certificate you can contact us by E-mail ( or post and mention your names, dates of birth, date and place of the wedding.
    Also remember to state which address we should post the new marriage certificate to.

    A new marriage certificate is free of charge.

    If you need a legalisation/ an Apostille on your marriage certificate, please contact the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs

  • When a Danish document has to be used abroad, it often has to be legalised.

    If you need to have your document legalised/apostillised, please contact the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Phone: (+45) 23 64 54 36

The registry office can be reached by phone on working days from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Should your request not be urgent, we prefer to be contacted via e-mail.
Appointments are only scheduled by e-mail.

Please note that we cannot provide any information on things that fall within the responsibility of the Familieretshuset.

Closing days 2022 (both days included)