From 01.01.2019, Familieretshuset carries out the verification of your documents; in most cases without you having to meet up in person.

You select by yourself, which municipality you wish to get married in and indicate this in your application.

Of course we would be delighted if you choose Aabenraa Kommune for the most important day of your life.


If this is the case, please follow this procedure:

  1. Send your documents to Familieretshuset and choose Aabenraa Kommune for your wedding municipality - if you have questions regarding the case working or the case working progress, please contact the Agency of Family Law, hence we cannot answer questions in this matter.
  2. When the Agency of Family Law has checked and approved your documents, we will contact you via e-mail to make an appointment.

The weddings take place on Tuesdays and Fridays.

You will come on the day you have agreed on with Aabenraa Kommune for the wedding, which is not associated with any additional costs. Should you not bring along any witnesses for the wedding, we will provide witnesses for you. There is no requirement for an overnight stay.

Please note! You must both be able to communicate in English, German or Danish. If this is not the case, you must bring along an authorized translator. If we cannot communicate with both of you, we cannot wed you.


Two witnesses must be present at a wedding. If you do not have your own witnesses, the municipality can provide them free of charge. If you do not bring your own witnesses, the wedding ceremony can take place on Tuesdays between 09.00-13.00 o'clock.

Accomodation, activities and restaurants

Are you looking for accomodation, activities or a good restaurant visit the homepage of Aabenraa City.

Corona information

It is very important that you read the information on the following website  to see if you meet the entry requirements.
Please note that you must of course have valid travel documents to enter Denmark.

Dates for the wedding

If you bring your own witnesses, you can get an appointment on Fridays.
Please send us the names and addresses of the witnesses.

If you don't bring your own witnesses, we can offer you an appointment on Tuesdays.


Closing days 2022 (all days included)




Phone: (+45) 23 64 54 36

The registry office can be reached by phone on working days from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Should your request not be urgent, we prefer to be contacted via e-mail.
Appointments are only scheduled by e-mail.

Please note that we cannot provide any information on things that fall within the responsibility of the Familieretshuset.

Ofte stillede spørgsmål

  • Should you need a new marriage certificate you can contact us by E-mail ( or post and mention your names, dates of birth, date and place of the wedding.
    Also remember to state which address we should post the new marriage certificate to.

    A new marriage certificate is free of charge.

    If you need a legalisation/ an Apostille on your marriage certificate, please contact the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs

  • When a Danish document has to be used abroad, it often has to be legalised.

    If you need to have your document legalised/apostillised, please contact the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.